I always mess up my rice when I’m cooking it. Either it is overcooked and lumpy or it sticks to the bottom and you get a slight burnt aftertaste!
Well, today I remembered something we did once back in Uni. My department teacher had cooked rice in the oven. I had never tried this before so I thought what the hell, it’s not like it could get any worse than what I already make!
I used 1 cup of American rice long grain. Usually you would neet 2 1/4 cups of water to cook it with. But not with this recipe!
Here is what you need to do:
- Wash the rice a couple of times. The water will go from a milky colour to clear and that’s when you know you are done.
- Drain the rice and then soak it for 30 min in hot drinking water.
- Preheat the oven to medium-high temperature.
- Once the 30 min have passed, drain the rice again and put it in a pot suitable to go into the oven.
- Pour enough liquid to cover the surface of the rice but don’t exceed a 1/4 of an inch. You might use plain water, in which case don’t forget to season your rice, or you could use a stock/broth to add flavour to the rice. The important thing is that the liquid needs to be hot!
- Pop that baby in the oven and leave it in for about 10-15 min.
Here is what the final result looks like.
I can check this off my bucket list.
Oh quick question, does anybody have another recipe for making perfect rice? Because let’s be honest this one is good but sometime you just want something easy. Might as well order take away!